National Register of Historic Places in Mineral County
This site has always held a school since the first two-room, wood-framed schoolhouse was built in 1886, six years after the founding of the town. The original school was demolished in 1936 to make way for the "low building of very modern design"
The building's architectural details are subtle, but unmistakably Art Deco. Its low, clean lines, and horizontal emphasis are punctuated by vertical projections along its façade. The one-story building originally consisted of four spacious classrooms, two on either side of the main entry, and a basement that housed restrooms and storerooms. In 1942 and 1950, classroom additions were built,
Over the years, the school has withstood several attempts to demolish it, but the efforts of a few individuals have prompted the community to recognize the building's importance.
Source: NRHP Nomination submitted in 1999.