Nevada Historical Landmarks in Esmeralda County
Nevada Historical Landmark 101
Millers Rest Area on Highway 95
Thirteen Miles West of Tonopah
As a result of the mining excitement at Tonopah in 1901, and subsequent construction of the Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad, Millers was founded in 1904 as a station and watering stop on that line. The name honored Charles R. Miller, a director of the railroad and former Governor of Delaware. He was also vice-president of the Tonopah Mining Company and was instrumental in having their 100-stamp cyanide mill build here in 1906. In 1907, the town boomed with the construction of the T. & G. R.R.'s repair shops and another large mill. The population grew to 274 in 1910, the town then boasting a business district and post office. By 1911, the railroad shops and a mill had been moved away, and Millers began to decline. It was abandoned in 1947 when the railroad went out of business.