Nevada Historic Markers in Churchill County: Churchill County Courthouse
Nevada Historical Marker 161
Churchill County Courthouse
10 West Williams Avenue
Churchill County was created by the Territorial Legislature in 1861 but attached to Lyon County for judicial and revenue purposes. Churchill County was organized in 1864 and La Plata served as county seat. In 1868, it was moved to Stillwater, where it remained until March 5, 1903 when Fallon claimed the title.
The Neo-Classical Churchill County Courthouse was constructed in 1903 on property donated by Warren and Addie Williams and John Oats. Contractor W.B. Wyrick built the wood building for $7,300 from plans and specifications by Reno architect Ben Leon. The building was completed and accepted by County Commissioners F.L. Small, Charles L. Alien and E.S. Harriman on February 2, 1904.
The building is the only monumental wooden courthouse built in Nevada. The building has been in continuous use since opening.
State Historic Marker No. 161
Division of Historic Preservation & Archology
Churchill County Commission