National Register of Historic Places in Nevada County
In 1850, Hamlet Davis opened a general merchandise store in a tent on this corner. Prospering, he replaced the tent with a two-story woodframe building which featured a reading room above the new store. Soon Davis enlarged the second floor for a Dramatic Hall, the first theater in Nevada City.
The wooden building was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1856 and immediately replaced by the "fireproof" building which stands here today.