Napa County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
White Sulphur Springs
Situated on what was once a Mexican Land Grant to Dr. Edward Bale, White Sulphur Springs was discovered in 1848 and a resort was opened in 1852 making this California's oldest. Wealthy San Franciscans traveled here in the latter half of the 19th century by steamer across the Bay to Soscol Landing 4 miles south of Napa, and then by train and stage. The resort lost at least three grand hotels to fire during those years and in its prime was able to accommodate 1000 guests. For over 140 years this has been a forested hot springs retreat from the rigors of city life.
Dedicated August 21, 1993
Sam Brannan Chapter #1004
E Clampus Vitus
When we visited in December 2017, the property housed a Hoffman Institute Foundation retreat center. The historical marker is adjacent to the public right of way on White Sulphur Springs Road.
The facilities include nine creekside cottages, the Carriage House, bathhouse, dining room and other buildings.