California Historical Landmarks in Napa County
California Historical Landmark 359
Old Bale Grist Mill
Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park
State Route 29 North of St. Helena
This historic grist mill, known as the "Bale Mill" was erected by Dr. B. T. Bale, grantee Carne Humana Rancho, in 1846. The mill with surrounding land was deeded to the Native Sons of the Golden West by Mrs. W. W. Lyman. Restored through the efforts of the Native Son parlors of Napa County, under the leadership of past Grand President Bismarck Bruck, a grandson of Dr. Bale, and by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the Native Sons of the Golden West. The restored mill was dedicated June 21, 1925.
Edward Bale sailed from England to California in the 1830s and settled in Monterey where he was named Surgeon-in-Chief of the Mexican Army by General Mariano Vallejo. In 1839 he married Vallejo's niece, Maria Sobrantes, and in 1841 was granted a large rancho in the upper Napa Valley. Cattle were raised for hides and tallow and wheat was planted along the river in this valley. Bale constructed a gristmill at this site to process the locally grown grain. He also built a sawmill on his rancho where logs were cut for the area's early frame buildings. He died in 1849 at the age of 38, leaving behind his wife and six young children.
Dedicated April 15, 2000 Rededicate September 20, 2003
Sam Brannan 1004
E Clampus Vitus
The Old Bale Grist Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It was the first property in Napa County to be listed on the National Register.
We were unable to locate a bear flag plaque for this landmark. Here's a list of other California Historical Landmarks which had no bear flag plaque when we visited them.