National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
The Old Napa Register Building was built of brick covered with rusticated cement to give the appearance of stone. It is one of the few surviving examples of early 20th century commercial architecture in downtown Napa.
Originally, both the first and second floors contained one large room each. The first floor housed the Napa Register and the second floor housed a dance studio.
Napa architect Luther M. Turton designed the building. Turton had more influence on the commercial and residential architectural development in the city of Napa than any other architect.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.
The Napa Valley Register is the largest newspaper in Napa County and the oldest newspaper in continuous operation in the city of Napa.
It was founded in 1863 as a weekly publication named the Napa Valley Register. In 1864, the name was changed to Napa Register. In the mid-1980s, the name was changed back to Napa Valley Register.
When we photographed the building in 2009, it was occupied by offices and a restaurant.