National Register of Historic Places in Monterey County
The town of Gonzales was established in 1872 with the extension of the Southern Pacific Railroad down the Salinas Valley from San Jose.
This simple Victorian Gothic building is a notable example of its type and period, typical of the religous architecture of small towns of late 19th century California.
The Community Church of Gonzales has been in continuous use since its dedication in 1884 as a Baptist Church and is one of the oldest functioning churches in Monterey County.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1983.