National Register of Historic Places in Mendocino County
The Olinsky Building was the center of transportation and related businesses in the early days of land transportation on the Mendocino Coast. Transportation was crucial to a city isolated from the inland highways. No other building in Fort Bragg, dealing with transportation from that era, remains today.
The Olinsky Building was home to Coast Line Stages, a trucking firm that was the only large, commercial transporter of goods in and out of Fort Bragg from 1920 until 1940. Even as many other transportation companies started up in Fort Bragg after 1940, the building continued its history of repair and transportation until 1992.
The 1906 San Francisco earthquake had destroyed much of downtown Fort Bragg including the post office which was immediately rebuilt. By 1924, the old post office had become inadequte and the government solicited bids for a new post office.
Mr. Olinsky's bid was accepted for a new building to be added on to the north side his existing building. In 1925 the building was enlarged for the Post Office, built to Post Office standards, with all the embellishments due a government building. Coast Line Stages obtained the mail contract and hauled the mail for the Post Office.
In the new addition were two other businesses, one on each side of the Post Office, Olinsky's Confectionery Store and Kemppe Hardware.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.