National Register of Historic Places in Mariposa County
The first ranger station in Merced Grove was a 1915 checking station on the Old Coulterville Road, now long gone.
By the early 1930s, that road was no longer in use as a park entrance. In 1933, the National Park Service commenced construction of a rustic cabin in Merced Grove amid the Giant Sequoia Redwoods. The building was finished in July, 1935.