Marin County Points of Interest
Old St. Hilary's Church was originally a mission church named for St. Hilaire, Bishop of Poitiers. The heirs of John Reed deeded the quarter acre site to the Archdiocese of San Francisco which built the church as a place of worship for local railroad workers in 1888.
Old St. Hilary's is one of the few remaining Carpenter Gothic churches to survive in its original setting. It is constructed of redwood, with redwood doors and a Douglas fir ceiling. Amber glass replaced the original stained glass windows after they were broken. The stained glass window above the door has been restored and depicts St. Hilary.
The church was deconsecrated in 1954 and acquired by the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society in 1959.
Source: Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society.