National Register of Historic Places in Marin County
In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt designated Muir Woods as the tenth National Monument designated under the Antiquities Act of 1906.
Muir Woods preserves the heart of a rare surviving old-growth redwood forest. The land was donated by William Kent and Elizabeth Thacher Kent and additional land was added in 1921 and 1935.
Muir Woods contains three historic sites (Redwood Forest, Bohemian Grove, Cathedral Grove ), five historic buildings, twenty historic structures and five historic objects.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2007.