National Register of Historic Places in Marin County
The Benjamin and Hilarita Lyford House is an excellent example of residential design from the second half of the nineteenth century. Although the house has a Second Empire mansard roof, it is Gothic in its tower and Italianate in its fenestration.
The house was originally part of Dr. Benjamin Lyford's Hygienic Eagle Dairy on Strawberry Point between Sausalito and Tiburon. Overlooking the bay, the house sat adjacent to farm buildings and cow pastures and was "a model of sanitary dairy practices." Threatened by demolition in 1957, then house was barged across Richardson Bay to its current site.
Today the house sits on a low bluff at the shore of Richardson Bay.
It is owned by the National Audubon Society.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.