National Register of Historic Places in Marin County
The Sausalito Woman's Club, designed by Julia Morgan, is historically significant for its role in the civic and cultural life of Sausalito since its inception in 1913. They ministered to the life of the community through an emphasis on Civics, Outdoor Art (Conservation) and Music, Art, and Literature.
In 1913 Sausalito had winding dirt roads, 2,8OO people, one saloon for every hundred persons, prize fights, gambling dens and more. That year ten fine, strong-willed women with diversified interests founded the Sausalito Woman's Club. They were determined to clean up the town.
Using the same ideals, that founded the Club, the members chose Julia Morgan to be their architect. Morgan was the first woman to graduate from the University of California at Berkeley with a degree in Civil Engineering. While there, she became the protege of architect Bernard Maybeck.
The Sausalito Woman's Club is a small Craftsman Style woodframe building. The first floor consists of an auditorium with raised stage and side rooms at north end. a glassed in sun porch on the east side, and an entry hall. reception room, kitchen bathroom at south end. Below the first floor is a basement stage dressing rooms. Upstairs are two guest dressing rooms and two bathrooms.
The building is deceptively simple - almost as though master carpenters built it without benefit of drawings. But the control of light and structure reveals Miss Morgan's sure hand.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination dated December 1992.