California Historical Landmarks in Marin County
California Historical Landmark 529
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manual de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation
When the San Carlos was anchored here, Angel Island was heavily forested with California oak, bay, and madrone. Soon after the world rushed in 1849, the island had been completely deforested to provide lumber and firewood. The Army planted Australian eucalyptus which adapted well and are the main trees on the island today.