California Historical Landmarks in Inyo County
California Historical Landmark 953
Laws Narrow Gauge Railroad Station
Silver Canyon Road at Joe Smith Road
In 1883 the Carson & Colorado Railroad was built between Mound House (near Carson City, Nevada) through Laws to Keeler, California, a distance of 300 miles. Laws Station was named in honor of Mr. R. J. Laws, Assistant Superintendent of the railroad. Between 1883 and about 1915, this railroad provided the only dependable means of transportation in and out of Owens Valley. Train service was stopped on April 30, 1960.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 953
Plaque Placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Bishop Museum and Historical Society, April 1, 1983.
Laws Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Historic District #81000149.