California Historical Landmarks in Inyo County
California Historical Landmark 223
Putnam's Stone Cabin
139 Edwards Street
One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and "fort" for early settlers, as well as a survival point for travelers. It became the center of the settlement of "Putnam's" which five years later took the name "Independence."
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 223
Plaque Placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Eastern California Museum Association, Inc., January 12, 1964.