Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Humboldt County
This commercial building was designed by architect A. Mowry for Josiah Bell in 1892.
The ground floor, which boasted 625 square feet of plate glass windows, was occupied by Dauphiny's Grocery Store, Edward's Bicycle Shop and a steamship ticket agency. This floor remains largely unaltered with a series of display windows with clerestories above that creates a glass wall or glazed-box effect.
Beginning about 1905, the second story housed the Eureka Business College. The school operated here for decades and trained many young people in the area.
In the middle of the 20th century, the second floor was stuccoed. In the 1970s, the façade was restored with rustic siding. Sash windows with decorative period moldings were installed.
Today, the structure is an attractive example of a turn-of-the-century commercial building with shop fronts that are typical of the period.
The Eureka Business College Building is a Eureka Historic Landmark and contributes to the Eureka Old Town Historic District.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination for Eureka Old Town Historic District.