National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
The Magdalena Zanone House is an outstanding example of Queen Anne architecture, a style that enjoyed a particularly long and flourishing period in Eureka because of strength of the local economy from 1880 to 1910, the abundance of local redwood lumber and the isolation of the community.
Most buildings constructed during this period were built by local builders and craftsmen, with few designed by architects. Although these builders used patternbooks and other published sources, they embellished these designs to create Eureka's particularly exuberant Queen Anne residences.
The property surrounding the Zanone House was first developed in the late 1870s as a park and picnic grounds known as McKenna's Pleasure Park. When operation of the park ceased around 1886, the property was purchased by Domingo and Magdalena Zanone, a wealthy family who operated a cattle ranch south of Eureka.
In 1908, the widow Magdalena Zanone had this residence constructed and lived here until her death in 1946. Her children inherited the property. They sold several parcels, but retained the house until 1972.
When we photographed the building, it was still a private residence.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination submitted in 2004.