California Historical Landmarks in Del Norte County
California Historical Landmark 544
Fort Ter-Wer Site
Ter-Wer Riffle Road and Trinity Way
Site of Fort Terwer, United States military post, established October 12, 1857, by First Lieutenant George Crook and the men of Company D to keep peace between the Indians and whites. The fort was destroyed by a flood in December, 1861, and abandoned June 10, 1862.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 544
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Del Norte County Historical Society, May 20, 1961.