National Register of Historic Places in Contra Costa County
The Bank of Pinole is a small, single story Neo Classic masonry building designed by Robert William Petterson and constructed in 1915 by banking pioneer Edward M. Downer Sr.
The Bank of Pinole is the only example in the community of Pinole of the classical temple form which pervaded small town bank design across the country during the early 20th century. This style of architecture drew upon classical proportions, materials of permanence and ornament to achieve the monumental quality typically sought by financial institutions during this period. This building used each of these qualities to a level deserving of recognition.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
In 1995, the Pinole Redevelopment Agency purchased the building for seismic upgrade and commercial reuse.