California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 734
Main Street and Bird Way
C. C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855 , with a second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as Mark Twain, author of "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras."
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 734
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Princess Parlor No.84, Native Daughters of the Golden West, July 31, 1960.
Angels Hotel is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.