California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 274
4795 SR 49
18 April 2008
(Click Photos to Zoom)
State Registered Landmark No. 274
Gold discovered in creek just below town by James H. Carson in 1848, whose name was given to creek, hill, and town. In November, 1854, at Morgan Mine, was found the largest gold nugget in California, weighing 195 pounds troy, worth at that time $43,000.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission.
Base furnished by Angels Camp Lions Club
Dedicated May 23, 1949
James H. Carson (1821 - 1853) -- soldier, gold prospector and miner, writer, sportsman. Discovered gold at Carson's Creek. He inspired a mutual confidence between man and man.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter E.C.V.
This 27th day of April 1974.