California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 269
North Main and East Center Streets
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of richest placer mining section of Calaveras County and one of the principal mining towns of California.
Corral Flat produced over thirty millions in gold. Sixteen feet square constituted a claim. The so-called French War for possession of gold mines occurred in 1851.
"Calaveras Chronicle" established in 1850. Fights between grizzly bear and bulls amused early residents. At one time headquarters of Joaquin Murieta. Town destroyed by fires in 1854, 1864, and 1874.
County seat of Calaveras County from 1853 to 1866.
Erected by Calaveras County Chamber of Commerce.
Dedicated by Native Daughters of the Golden West.