National Register of Historic Places in Amador County
Massive and well constructed building of rectangular hewn blocks of local Valley Springs rhyolite tuff which is easily worked when first guarded but hardened after exposure.
This Gothic Revival house was restored after being partially destroyed by fire in 1975.
All Photos 12 October 2006
(Click Photos to Zoom)
The name Fiddletown is a colorful reminder of the gold rush era.
The town is said to have received its name because the earliest settlers from Missouri who founded the town, in 1849, enjoyed fiddling. The name Fiddletown was immortalized in a short story by Bret Harte entitled "An Episode of Fiddletown."
The name was a source of embarrassment for Judge Purington, an early resident of the town. On his annual trips to San Francisco and Sacramento, he was jokingly called "the man from Fiddletown." He was influential in having the name changed to Oleta by an act of the State Legislature in 1878. However, through the efforts of the California Historical Society, the old name Fiddletown was restored in 1932.
In the 1850s and 1860s, Fiddletown was the trading center for a number of rich placer mining areas including American Flat, American Hill, French Flat, Loafer Flat, Lone Hill and others.
In addition to local mining and trading operations, the town was also the site of a steam powered sawmill, built in 1853 by H. C. Farnham and James McLeod. The mill provided lumber from local forests for the many frame houses built in the area. Local brick was also manufactured for construction of a number of the town's early buildings.
Today, Fiddletown is a quiet rural community in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. The main street follows the creek winding through the narrow valley.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination.
Fiddletown is also California Historical Landmark 35.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Chew Kee Store||1850||West Main Street||Rammed earth adobe. Now a museum.||West Main 01||Chew Kee Store|
|Chinese Gambling House||1850||West Main Street||See photo on this web page||West Main 02||Chinese Gambling House|
|Chinese Brick Store||1850||West Main Street||See photo on this web page||West Main 03||Chinese Brick Store|
|Chinese Adobe||1850||West Main Street||West Main 04||Chinese Adobe|
|Blacksmith Shop||1852||Main Street||Façade of local brick and side walls of lime-rubble mortar||Main 05||Blacksmith Shop|
|"Billie" Brown Home||1858||Main Street||Original building constructed of local brick with iron doors. Later additions are wood frame.||Main 06||"Billie" Brown Home|
|Atkinson's Store (Shelander Residence)||Main Street||Main 07||Atkinson's Store (Shelander Residence)|
|Wells Fargo Office (Community Hall)||1853||Main Street||Constructed of local brick||Main 08||Wells Fargo Office (Community Hall)|
|Fiddletown General Store||1855||Main Street||Constructed of local brick with iron doors and raised sidewalk||Main 09||Fiddletown General Store|
|Shallhorne Blacksmith and Wagon Shop||1870||Main Street||See photo on this web page||Main 10||Shallhorne Blacksmith and Wagon Shop|
|Cooper House||1861||Main Street at American Flat Road||See photo on this web page||Main 11||Cooper House|
|Fiddletown & Masonic Cemeteries||1856||American Flat Road||American||Fiddletown & Masonic Cemeteries|
|Site of St. Marks Lodge No. 115||American Flat Road||American||Site of St. Marks Lodge No. 115|
|Oleta Schoolhouse||1862||American Flat Road||Greek Revival||American||Oleta Schoolhouse|
|Judge Purington's Home||1856||East Main Street||East Main 15||Judge Purington's Home|
|James Head Home (Tieslau Residence)||1862||Jibboom Street||Classic Revival cottage||Jibboom 16||James Head Home (Tieslau Residence)|
|Farnham Ranch||1852||Jibboom Street||Jibboom 17||Farnham Ranch|
|Chinese Ruins on Tieslau Property||1850||Fiddletown-Silver Lake Road||Site of Chinese farming||Fiddletown 18||Chinese Ruins on Tieslau Property|