Alpine County Points of Interest
In 1856 a road was completed following the present sign Route 4 from Murphys to this point, and thence northward via Faith and Charity Valleys to Hope Valley where it joined the Carson Pass Road. This connection was used by emigrants in 1856 and 1857.
Remnants of the route are still visable to the north of this sign and along State Route 4 to the west.
Stanislaus National Forest