National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
Built of lumber salvaged from a whaling ship in 1880, this building was a bunkhouse for workers in the oyster beds until J. M. Heinold purchased it in 1883 and converted it into J. M. Heinold's Saloon for sailors and dock hands.
During the first half of the 20th Century, the Oakland-Alameda ferry stopped near Heinold's, making the saloon the first and last chance for a drink. Eventually, this privileged location was incorporated into the name.
Jack London is closely associated with Heinold's. While still a schoolboy, he studied here at tables still in use today.