National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
This building is the sole survivor, of several buildings which composed Boone's University School for Boys, a leading Berkeley example of private academies that flourished in California in the late 19th century.
The building was originally a one-story house. In 1891, two stories were added to the building and other class and dormitory buildings and playing fields were subsequently built on both sides of Durnat Avenue. The original building served as Principal Boone's home, with dormitories on the top floor.
Closed as a school in 1915, the simple dignified Italianate building remained in the Boone family as a rooming house until 1980.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.