California Historical Landmarks in Alameda County
California Historical Landmark 246
Rancho San Antonio
East 14th and Hays Streets In Root Park
Governor Pablo de Solá, last Spanish governor of California, awarded the San Antonio Grant to Don Luís María Peralta on August 3, 1820 in recognition of forty years of service. From this point northward, the grant embraced over 43,000 acres, now occupied by the cities of San Leandro, Oakland, Alameda, Emeryville, Piedmont, Berkeley, and Albany.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 246
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and recreation in cooperation with the City of San Leandro, the Club Iberico Espanñol, the Sociedad de Agustina de Aragon, and the Supreme Council U.P.E.C., March 14, 1970.
Don Luís María Peralta divided the rancho among his four sons: Ygnacio, Antonio, Vincente, and José Domingo.
When Pablo de Solá granted Rancho San Antonio to Don LuÏs MarÏa Peralta, Alta California was Spanish territory. During the seventy-seven years of its existence, Rancho San Antonio flew three flags: Spanish, Mexican, and American. When Inez Galindo sold the last of the rancho, California had been a state for almost half a century.