NoeHill in San Francisco Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter

California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco

California Historical Landmark 500
Site of the Eastern Terminus of Clay Street Hill Railroad
Clay and Kearny Streets
Built 1873
Demolished 1942

California Historical Landmark #500: Clay Street Hill Railroad Site
25 August 2007
(Click Photo to Zoom)

Andrew Smith Hallidie

Site of Eastern Terminus First Street Cars in World Propelled by Cable

Commenced operation August 1, 1875. Ceased February 15, 1942. Invented and installed by Andrew S. Hallidie, born London, England March 16, 1836. Died San Francisco, April 24, 1900. Pioneer manufacturer of wire cables, regent University of California, twice member Board of Freeholders for drafting city charter. Served on first Board of Trustees of the San Francisco Public Library.

Registered State Landmark No. 500
Tablet placed by the California State Park Commission
Base furnished by Friends of Andrew S. Hallidie

California Historical Landmark #500: Clay Street Hill Railroad Site
Clay Street Hill at Kearny Street 25 August 2007

California Historical Landmark #500: Clay Street Hill Railroad Site
Clay Street Hill at Kearny Street Circa 1860

California Historical Landmark #500: Clay Street Hill Railroad Site
Clay Street Hill Railroad Cable Car Date Unknown
(Click Photos to Zoom)

Previous | Next
County Index | County Map
State Index | State Map