California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco
California Historical Landmark 85
Site California Star Newspaper Office
743 Washington Street
On this site January 9, 1847, the first newspaper in San Francisco, The California Star - later known as The Alta Californian, was published by Samuel Brannan with Elbert P. Jones as editor.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation
The first Chinese Telephone Exchange was built in 1901. The San Francisco Examiner of 17 November 1901 reported:
The walls are hung with banners in red and yellow and gold. Along one side of the room is a row of teakwood chairs with cushions of silk, while near the switchboard are the small black stools which are to be seen all over the Chinese quarter. The switchboard itself is exactly like those in the other exchanges of the city, except that the operatives are men and Chinese. They used the same cry of "hello" in answer to a call - a pleasant tone, cheerful and good-humored.
The work of the exchange would drive an American operator insane. For, in addition to the 255 numbers on the exchange, there are at least 125 telephones which are either in Chinese lodging-houses or in clubs. The operatives have nearly 1500 names to remember, together with their owner's place of residence. For example, Woo Kee rings his telephone and says he wants to talk to Chung Hi Kin. He gives no number, for Chung lives in some big tenement and has no telephone number. It is the duty of the operative [the telephone operator] to remember all these names, and it is claimed he does so without effort.
"We are going to put in at least 150 new phones during the coming year, so you see we are prospering greatly. We have many visitors here every day, and we are glad to see them, as they do not interfere with business in any way...."
The Chinese telephone company was to put in girl operators when the exchange was refitted, and doubtless it will be done eventually. The company prefers women operators for many reasons, chiefly on account of good temper.
But when the company found that girls would be unobtainable unless they were purchased outright, and that it would be necessary to keep a platoon of armed men to guard them, to say nothing of an official chaperon to look after the proprieties, the idea of girl operators was abandoned.
"They come too high," remarks the facetious general manager, "but in the next century we'll be able to afford them, for girls will be cheaper then."
The first Chinese Telephone Exchange of 1901 was destroyed by the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. The new Chinese Telephone Exchange was opened in 1909 and served as an exchange until 1949 when automated dialing replaced operators and the pagoda was sold to the Bank of Canton.
Points of historical interest associated with Portsmouth Plaza and Gold Rush San Francisco:
Some Missing California Plaques
When we visited the following sites, we were unable to locate a California commemorative plaque.
At some sites, it appeared that a California plaque had never been erected. At other sites, there was a base, but the plaque itself was missing. Some sites without California plaques had other historic markers, but they did not note that the site is a California Historical Landmark.
Frémont's Camp, Modoc County
Frog Woman Rock, Mendocino County
Glencoe (Mosquito Gulch) , Calaveras County
Giant Powder Company Site, San Francisco
Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco and Marin Counties
Portolá Camp at Martini Creek, Montara
Portolá Camp at Pilarcitos Creek, Half Moon Bay
Portolá Camp at Pulgas Water Temple, San Mateo County
Portolá Camp at Purisima Creek, Half Moon Bay
Portolá Camp at San Gregorio State Beach, San Gregorio