National Register of Historic Places in Carbon County
Spring Glen is a small town in central Utah located between Helper and Price, the two principal towns in the area.
The first settlers in the area were Teancum Pratt and his two wives, Annie and Sarah, who arrived in 1880. When the Rio Grande Western Railway arrived the following year, the town of Helper was established and named after the helper locomotives that assisted freight trains up the steep grade northwest of town.
Helper became one of the most ethnically diverse communities in the state, attracting immigrants from several Mediterranean and Eastern European countries who came to Helper to work for the railroad or the nearby Castle Gate mines.
Much of the Italian and Eastern European populations remain and continue to have a strong cultural influence in the area.
The Clerico Commercial Building, constructed c.1914, is significant for its association with the commercial development of Spring Glen. The original owners, Battista and Gabriella Clerico, were Italian immigrants who greatly contributed to the business and social life of the surrounding mining communities. The building is also architecturally significant as one of the best preserved of only a few remaining historic commercial buildings in Spring Glen. The town did not turn into a commercial center like many had hoped. Buildings to house the few commercial ventures in town were scattered throughout the community, and of the few that were actually designed as commercial buildings , the Clerico Building is in the best state of preservation and retains the most historical integrity.