15 July 2010
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #78002651
Notre Dame de Lourdes Catholic Church
200 North Carbon Avenue
Construction of Notre Dame de Lourdes Catholic Church under the direction of Monsignor Alfredo F. Giovannoni
began in 1918 but was nor completed until 1923.
According to the National Register Nomination Form, the church is significant for five reasons:
- It is a literal monument to Monsignor Alfredo F. Giovannoni, the Italian-born
priest, who was the area's first full-time priest. It was through his persistant
efforts that the church and school were established, that Carbon County undertook
some semblance of organization as far as the Catholic Church was concerned,
and it is Monsignor Giovannoni who is fondly remembered among the older Catholics
and has taken on some of the qualities of a folk hero. His colorful character
has been preserved through the church edifice, as the structure acts as a
stimulant for recollections by older residents and as a link to the Catholic
past for present residents.
- The church, named Notre Dame de Lourdes, was a project the French and Basques
of Utah took great pride in. It symbolizes their role in Southeastern Utah's
- The church served to unite the diverse ethnic and nationalistic groups of Carbon
County. Unlike the Greek church, a National Register Site constructed in
1916 which catered almost exclusively to Greeks, the Notre Dame Church brought
together Italians, Slovenians, Creations, French, Basque, Northern Europeans
and American Catholics.
- The completion of the church in Price was the foundation for other Catholic
activities in Carbon County including the establishment of a parochial school.
- The church serves as headquarters for a large active, and growing Catholic
population in Southeastern Utah.