Tuolumne County Points of Interest
Stockton Road and the Shay Engine
For many years Stockton Road has been the main western entrance to Sonora. Originally it turned into a very narrow street at Bradford Street, and traffic would then continue into the City on Bradford.
This Shay engine was built by Lima Locomotive Works in 1910, Serial No. 2297, Cylinders 12" by 12", 2 Truck, 60 ton. Number 3 was bought new by Standard Lumber Co., for use on its Sugar Pine Rail Road. The engine lived out its entire working life in Tuolumne County. Originally on display in Standard, it was later moved to its present location.
In 1925 the wooden cab was destroyed in a wreck with another engine near Camp Pickering. Workers at the Standard Plant fabricated the steel cab and rebuilt the engine to its present appearance.
Donated by Sonora Lions Club 1999