Tuolumne County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
This wood frame building is a reproduction of a miners' boarding house that stood on this site and was destroyed in the fire of July 10, 1854. Rebuilt, it was destroyed again in the fire of August 25, 1857. A third building burned in 1861 and the site was then mined for gold.
This fourth version was built in 1961 and served as a boarding house for "University of the Pacific" drama students who produced stage productions at the Fallon House Theater until 1988.
Today, the building is used for display, office space, storage and occasional meetings. The theater is operated by an independent production company.
The spelling of "Eagle Cotage" has been a tradition since its original appearance in 1854.