National Register of Historic Places in Tuolumne County
A marker on the front of the building reads:The Emporium - 1897
C. H. Wilson, architect and builder of department store for J. W. Witney & Sons. Acquired by Moses Arendt within year. Mercantile and telephone exchange in early 1900's. In 1928, sold to Jim Porter and Peter Barendregt. Jake Barendregt, Sr. operated a grocery store 1936-1967. Paul and Mallory Barendregt, owners.
In 1978, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.