National Register of Historic Places in Tuolumne County
Building 3000 was built in 1924 to serve as a ranger station, visitor contact station and entrance station for the eastern entrance to Yosemite National Park over Tioga Pass. A wood frame building in a setting of conifer forest at the edge of Tuolumne Meadows, its peeled log frame and rafters and dark brown color served to blend with its environment. When its entrance station function was removed by construction in 1931 of a new stone entrance station at the summit of Tioga Pass some miles to the east, and its visitor contact station function was removed by construction of building 3005 on the other side of the stream in 1936, the old building continued to serve as a ranger residence and office, which use it still serves today.
Building 3005 was erected in 1936 west of the stream and at the entrance^of the Tuolumne Meadows Campground. It replaced a part of the original function of building 3000. Architecturally it was quite different. The new ranger station was predominately of battered stone walls, with some wood frame infill in front and rear. The ranger station at Tioga Pass built in 1931 had set a precedent for the use of stone in all of the subsequent rustic buildings which would be constructed in Tuolumne Meadows Campground, with the exception of one restroom, and the stone was most appropriate in a setting of small conifers growing in rocky, boulder-strewn ground, dominated by granite peaks on the horizon.
Buildings 3021, 3022 and 3023, built in 1934, at the same time as building 3203 on Tioga Pass, were comfort stations or rest rooms at three locations in the Tuolumne Meadows Campground; they reflect a fairly highly stylized phase of "rustic" design. Rustic architecture was intended to give the impression of construction involving pioneer methods and tools, using native materials and natural exterior colors to blend and harmonize with the surrounding environment. Nothing could be more natural than the color and texture of native stone used in these buildings, and the wooden members, stained for the most part a dark brown, blended equally well with the bark of some of the conifers. It should be noted that building 3203 at Tioga Pass is a tiny, miniature version of the three comfort stations at Tuolumne Meadows (and subject to separate nomination).
Extracted from the NRHP nomination form.