National Register of Historic Places in Tuolumne County, California
Columbia is probably the best preserved of the early gold rush towns in California's Mother Lode country.
Rich placer deposits were discovered by a party of miners on March 27, 1850. More than a thousand prospectors were immediately attracted to the scene, but a shortage of water - vital to the working of the placers - slowed the immediate development of the town.
A water company was formed in 1851, and a vast network of reservoirs, ditches and flumes was constructed. A second water company built a million dollar aqueduct to convey water for sixty miles from the South Fork of the Stanislaus River through the mountains to Columbia.
In 1855, a telegraph line form Stockton to Columbia was completed. In 1856, hydraulic mining began on a large scale. In 1858, gas distributed through wooden pipes was briefly illuminated the town.
During the 1850s, the population ranged between two and five thousand.
The Columbia Basin district yielded an estimated $87,000,000 in gold. [Webmaster note: almost $2.5 billion in 2012 dollars.]
By 1861, the boom was over, and by 1867, most of the population had left for Nevada and other fields. In the 1870s and 1880s, many vacant buildings were demolished, but Columbia never became a ghost town. Its population remained at about five hundred souls during the 20th century.
In 1945, the district became Columbia State Historic Park.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination dated 8 April 1964.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Saint Anne's Catholic Church||Church Lane||Church 10||Saint Anne's Catholic Church|
|Catholic Cemetery||Church Lane||Church 20||Catholic Cemetery|
|Masonic Hall||Washington Between Broadway and Main||Washington 10||Masonic Hall|
|Fallon's Hall||Washington Between Broadway and Main||Washington 20||Fallon's Hall|
|Main Flume as of 1871||Main Gulch||05||Main Flume as of 1871|
|Wells Fargo Building and Warehouse||Main Between Washington and Fulton||Main 10||Wells Fargo Building and Warehouse|
|D. O. Mills Bank||Main Between Washington and Fulton||Main 12||D. O. Mills Bank|
|Soderer and Marshall Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 20||Soderer and Marshall Building|
|McChesney and Mills Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 21||McChesney and Mills Building|
|Hildebrand Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 22||Hildebrand Building|
|J. Levy Building - Tibbits Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 23||J. Levy Building - Tibbits Building|
|South Brainard Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 24||South Brainard Building|
|North Brainard Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 25||North Brainard Building|
|Franklin and Wolfe Building||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 26||Franklin and Wolfe Building|
|Schwartz Building - New York Dry Goods Store||Main Between Fulton and State||Main 27||Schwartz Building - New York Dry Goods Store|
|Hildebrand Building||Main Between State and Jackson||Main 30||Hildebrand Building|
|Leavitt and Walker Building||Main Between State and Jackson||Main 31||Leavitt and Walker Building|
|Leavitt and Walker Building Addition||Main Between State and Jackson||Main 32||Leavitt and Walker Building Addition|
|Tuolumne Engine Co. No. 1||State Between Broadway and Main||State 10||Tuolumne Engine Co. No. 1|
|Columbia Drug Store Building||State Between Broadway and Main||State 12||Columbia Drug Store Building|
|McChesney Building (Second IOOF Hall)||State Between Broadway and Main||State 14||McChesney Building (Second IOOF Hall)|
|Heynemann's Saloon||Main Between Sate and Jackson||Main 33||Heynemann's Saloon|
|Morgan's Hotel||Main Between Sate and Jackson||Main 34||Morgan's Hotel|
|Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church||Jackson and Gold||Jackson 10||Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church|
|Knapp (Bayhaut) Building||State Between Main and Columbia||State 20||Knapp (Bayhaut) Building|
|Knapp Building and Warehouse||State Between Main and Columbia||State 25||Knapp Building and Warehouse|
|Siebert Residence||State Between Main and Columbia||State 28||Siebert Residence|
|Wilson Residence||Main Between Sate and Jackson||Main 36||Wilson Residence|
|Soderer and Marshall Building||Main Between Sate and Jackson||Main 38||Soderer and Marshall Building|
|Columbia Fire House||Main Between Sate and Jackson||Main 39||Columbia Fire House|
|Jail||Columbia Street Between State and Jackson||Columbia||Jail|
|Magendi Building||Jackson Between Main and Columbia||Jackson 20||Magendi Building|
|Boehner Store||Jackson Between Main and Columbia||Jackson 22||Boehner Store|
|Italian Saloon||Jackson Between Main and Columbia||Jackson 24||Italian Saloon|
|Alberding Store||Main and Jackson||Main 40||Alberding Store|
|Cloverie Building||Main Between Jackson and Pacific||Main 50||Cloverie Building|
|Old Reservoir||Pacific Near School House Street||Pacific||Old Reservoir|
|Public School||School House Street||School 10||Public School|
|Public Cemetery||School House Street||School 20||Public Cemetery|