National Register of Historic Places in Stanislaus County
The Shell Gas Station is a prefabricated tin service station comprised of main building, projecting covered service area and separate restroom unit. Poignantly distinctive restroom unit also prefabricated tin; completely free standing, with rounded lines reflective of nascent Moderne.
This service station is illustrative of early U.S. service station architecture from the 1920's. Prefabricated technique also representative of the new cultural mobility.
Both the traditionalist and avant-garde trends are present: decorative finials are indicative of the 1920's eclecticism often associated with skyscraper caps of the period; simple Moderne lines of restroom unit are indicative of the progressive aesthetic of streamlining.
A rare vernacular example of this architectural type and period.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination dated 28 February 1979.