Sonoma County Landmarks
The interpretive marker reads:
Yuki tribe first known inhabitants, in village of Wilikos later named Los Guilicos.
1833: General Mariano Vallejo arrives at Sonoma Mission, planting grapes in 1834, marking first known planting of vineyards in the area.
1875: Renowned botanist and horticulturist Luther Burbank arrives in Santa Rosa, publicizing area's fertile, viticulturist potential. Burbank and Jack London become friends, sharing a passion for agriculture.
1895: South Los Guilicos name changed to Kenwood.
1911: Jack London moves his Beauty Ranch to Glen Ellen.
1913: In August, Jack London's cherished Wolf House burns completely just upon completion. Valley of the Moon is published.
1916: Purchase of L.H. Sly's 300 acre-property, at the base of Sugarloaf Ridge by Ernest and Maude Goff of Saginaw, Michigan, who made their fortune in iron mines and in the Pacific Northwest lumber industry.
Circa 1919: Ernest and Maude Goff and their five children, Maude, Harry, Camilla, Ernest and Ezra.
1920: Main house of Chateau St. Jean built as a summer home.
October 1973: Chateau St. Jean property purchased and founded by San Joaquin grape growers Robert and Edward Merzoian, and Kenneth Sheffield. Jean Sheffield Merzoian, the new owner's sister-in-law, wife, and sister, honored as the Chateau's namesake.
May 1974: Richard Arrowood hired as Winemaker, coinciding with planting the St. Jean Estate vineyards.
September 1974: First vintage of Chateau St. Jean wines custom crushed at Sonoma Vineyards.
September 1975: 1974 Sonoma County Johannisberg Riesling, Select Late Harvest,first to win critical acclaim, brings recognition to the winery.
1978: St. Jean Estate Vineyards planting completed.
1980: Table wine facility completed. A record nine vineyard designated Chardonnays produced this year.
September 1988: 44 acre Sauvignon Blanc vineyard, La Petite Etoile, purchased in the Russian River Valley.
April 1990: 14-year Chateau St. Jean veteran, Don Van Staaveren named winemaker.
April 1997: Steve Reeder joins Chateau St. Jean as winemaker.
December 1999: 1996 Cinq Cépages Cabernet Sauvignon named "Wine of the Year" by Wine Spectator magazine - a first for a Sonoma wine.
July 2000: New Visitor Center and Mediterranean Gardens open, integrating main house architecture and ambiance, embodied in elegant garden spaces.
December 2002: 1999 Cinq Cépages Cabernet Sauvignon named "#2 Wine of the Year" by Wine Spectator magazine.
August 2003: Margo Van Staaveren promoted to Winemaker, becoming Chateau St. Jean's fourth winemaker. Named Winemaker of the Year by the Wine Enthusiast Magazine in November 2008.