National Register of Historic Places in Solano County
As the 19th century ended and the 20th century began, the citizens of Vacaville had long been discussing the need to replace their tiny wooden jail, but they had been unable to secure the funds. When vandals pushed the jailhouse into Ulatis Creek one night in 1906, three Vacaville residents convinced the Solano County Board of Supervisors to fund a new jail and town hall.
The building was designed by Solano County Surveyor F. A. Steiger. Its architecture demonstrates a small town's attempt to create a feeling of monumentality and civic pride. Its designer borrowed freely from historical antecedents to achieve this effect.
The building, adorned with a functional tower for the town fire bell, was completed in June 1907 at a cost of $5,160.
Until the 1950's, Town Hall was shared by the police department, the court, the city council and the fire department; however, one by one, the city departments relocated to larger quarters.