San Francisco Landmarks
Many residential hotels were built South of Market after the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. This building is a rare survivor.
From 1909 until 1984, the hotel on the second floor went by many names: Bancroft Hotel, Hotel Carlo, Hotel Townsend, Dades Hotel, Eleanor Hotel, Aunt Mary’s Hotel, New Townsend Hotel, and finally the New Pullman Hotel from 1948 until 1984.
The six storefronts on the ground floor have been occupied by restaurants, cigar stores, saloons, liquor stores, and a soda fountain supply store. Lena’s Luncheonette, appears to have operated out of the building from at least the 1960s through 1984, the same year the New Pullman Hotel closed.