San Francisco Landmarks
Twin Peaks Tavern opened in 1935 as a Eureka Valley neighborhood bar.
In 1972, two lesbians purchased the bar lease and refurbished the interior as a fern bar for a gay clientele. It is the first known gay bar to feature full length, open plate glass windows.
Housed in an early 20th century building with an intact 1923 Mediterranean Revival façade in the heart of the Castro, the bar retains its expansive windows and other character-defining features and continues to serve the LGBT community.
Source: Adapted from San Francisco Planning Department Case Number 2011.1123L