San Francisco Landmark: Music Concourse
The Music Concourse was designed in 1895 and built between 1896 and 1900. Original elements included the concourse bowl, streets and paths, all four pedestrian tunnels, the Spreckels Temple of Music, London plane trees, park benches, the hill behind the Temple of Music and five of the concrete staircases.
The remaining contributing elements were added between 1900 and 1928. No documentation has been found to explain why these elements were placed where they were, but in most cases their placement seems carefully considered. The Rideout and Page fountains occupy the nexus of major paths within the concourse bowl. The Hearst fountain is placed where one of the 1896 staircases had been. The monuments that post-date 1900 were probably placed by John McLaren, the Park Superintendent.
Excerpted from San Francisco Planning Commission Resolution 16671 adopted 2 October 2003The Music Concourse contributes to the Golden Gate Park Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.