National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
This Italian Renaissance Revival building was designed by Frederick H. Meyer as a company hospital nearby Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation Union Iron Works. Bethlehem operated the largest and most important shipyard in San Francisco.
Built to treat workers injured in industrial accidents, the hospital was typical of the benevolent paternalism practiced by large corporations during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
In 1931, during a slump in business, the Bethlehem closed the hospital and sold the property. In 1948, Kaiser-Permanente Foundation acquired the property to house its first full-service hospital in San Francisco. Kaiser sold the property in 1958 and from 1958 until 2013, it housed a convalescent hospital. In 2020, building was converted into apartment.