National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
The W. P. Fuller & Company Glass Warehouse one of the best remaining examples of the brick warehouses that dominated the Embarcadero waterfront in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The area, just east of Telegraph Hill and north of Broadway, was San Francisco's center for maritime and warehouse commerce from the 1850s to the 1960s. Warehouses and factories were built here because of the relatively flat landscape - created from fill - and proximity to the Embarcadero Beltline Railroad and the piers just beyond.
From the Gold Rush until the 1906 Earthquake and Fire, the warehouses in the area were built mainly of brick with blocky massing and deeply set windows. Following structural lessons learned from the earthquake, many later warehouses - and buildings in general - were constructed of reinforced concrete rather than brick.
The W.P. Fuller & Company Glass Warehouse is typical of a tum-of-the-century San Francisco brick warehouse in material, form, and use, but is rare in that it retains a high degree of integrity.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form