California Historical Landmarks in Santa Cruz County
California Historical Landmark 860
Camp Capitola Superintendent's Office
201 Monterey Avenue
California's first seaside resort community was established here in 1869 by Mr. F. A. Hihn. The grand opening was held on July 4, 1874, for the 15 acre resort, located in the present Village and Depot Hill areas. The Superintendent's Office, built from local redwood in the 1880's, served as the headquarters for Camp Capitola until 1930.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 860
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Capitola Historical Society, July 28, 1973.
The Camp Capitola Superintendent's Office is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.