California Historical Landmarks in Santa Clara County
California Historical Landmark 250
Mission Santa Clara de Asis and Old Spanish Bridge Site
De la Cruz Boulevard and Martin Avenue
The first mission in this valley, Mission Santa Clara de Thamien, was established at this site by Franciscan Padres Tomás de la Peña and Joseph Antonio Marguia January 17, 1777. Here, at the Indian village of So-co-is-u-ka, they erected a cross and shelter for worship to bring Christianity to the Costanoan Indians.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation