National Register of Historic Places in San Mateo County
San Mateo County has built four courthouses on the block of land originally donated by Simon Mezes and the Arguello Family, owners of Rancho Las Pulgas. The top floor of the 1858 courthouse was destroyed in the 1868 earthquake. The remaining floor served as an annex to the second courthouse built in 1882.
Due to the growth of the county and the desire for a grander building, a third, larger courthouse was designed just behind the second one. Completed shortly before the 1906 earthquake, only the dome structure survived.
The dome was incorporated into the fourth courthouse. Designed by Glenn Allen, it was built in the Roman and Renaissance revival styles. Known as the Temple of Justice, it opened on July 4, 1910.
Source: San Mateo County Historical Association