California Historical Landmarks in San Mateo County
California Historical Landmark 478
Site of San Mateo County's First Sawmill
Portola Road Quarter Mile Sourh of Woodside Road
About three hundred feet south of this monument, on the banks of the Alambique Creek, stood San Mateo County's first saw mill, built by Charles Brown in 1847. About the same time, Dennis Martin was building a second mill on San Francisquito Creek. Both were run by water power and were similar in structure to the famous Sutter's Mill at Coloma.
State Registered Landmark No. 478
Marker placed by the Board of Supervisors of San Mateo County in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association.
Dedicated June 8, 1952